Scandinavian runes are not just an alphabet created by ancient people. Runic symbols are a whole system of magical signs, with the help of which people tried to organize their lives. In the modern world, interest in rune magic has not faded away but, on the contrary, it has as if “flared up” with renewed vigor.
What are Scandinavian Runes?
The word rune has Old Norse and Germanic roots and means “secret” or “mysterious whisper.” Therefore, it is not surprising that ancient people endowed these symbols with magical properties. They were often applied to weapons, house walls, ships, clothing, and household items. The application of runes was carried out by magicians and sorcerers, who were especially revered in those days.
According to an ancient legend, the runes were “revealed” to one of the main Old Norse gods - Odin, who comprehended their meaning and interpretation by nailing himself with a spear to a tree. The runic symbols were endowed with magical powers and could be used for divination and magic rituals. One transferred his knowledge of runes to people who began to use them in their daily lives actively.
Each Old Norse rune has its name and meaning and is associated with one of the pagan gods. Like the Slavic and any other, the Scandinavian runic alphabet is inherent in a certain sequence of characters called futhark. The runes are divided into three subdivisions - etter, each of which contains eight characters. Let us consider all the signs and meanings of the Scandinavian runes and the scope of their application, description, and interpretation.
Consider the first eight runes included in this department:
- Feu is the rune of success and wealth. This symbol will help you make a profitable deal or get a promotion. With it, you can “ignite the fire of passion” of fading relationships and increasing the body’s resistance to disease.
- Urus is a rune that gives great strength and helps to change the situation. With such a symbol, plans and dreams quickly turn into reality, and obstacles “crumble to dust.” The man in this symbol “draws” strength, and the woman - beauty and sex appeal. The magic of the runes is that the symbol will help achieve reciprocity and restore the destroyed relationship. In terms of health, it will help a woman dreaming of conceiving a child.
- Turizas is a symbol of order and sanity. This rune will help you make the right and balanced decisions to avoid mistakes. It will protect you from liars and swindlers and “open your eyes” to the situation and actions of people. The sign will help men restore reproductive strength, and patients with cholelithiasis will be relieved of that condition.
- Anzus is a rune that can increase the mental abilities of a person and improve his communication skills. Her students and schoolchildren take exams and important tests. The rune will help to find answers to many vital questions and “see the obvious.” This symbol is useful for sore throats and relieves migraine attacks.
- Raido - the rune of forwarding movement and continuous development. It is customary to take the symbol with you on trips of any length. It will protect the “traveler” from all kinds of road “scrapes” and help “not to get lost” on the way. With the help of the sign, it will be possible to find a compromise in the dispute and win the lawsuit. It is useful for gout, rheumatism, and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Kano is a symbol of success and “clear mind.” With it, it is easier to achieve the intended goal and to realize a cherished desire. The sign energetically charges the mind and body of a person, which has a beneficial effect on his life. In terms of health, the rune has a positive effect on the gastrointestinal tract and helps with various inflammatory processes in the body.
- Gebo is the rune of love and marriage. The symbol cannot only “attract” the object of passion but also helps to choose the most suitable partner. It will strengthen relationships and take them to a new stage of development. The positive effect of the sign also extends to business affairs, where it will help to conclude a profitable deal and “make the right choice” with the choice of a business partner. Fleece helps to heal nervous diseases and sexual disorders.
- Vunyo is a sign of glory, success and victories in any field. It makes a person more committed and stronger, helps to carry out his plans and find the right solution. The vunyo symbol is a good helper in love affairs, especially if you want to “conquer” the object of adoration. The rune has a calming effect on a person and helps during the depression.
- Hagalas is a rune that “keeps” a person’s spirit and thoughts in balance. It helps to avoid the “bad” by transforming it into “good.” The symbol is of great importance for those who want to develop intuition, keep calm, and establish protection from damage and the evil eye. It protects against injury and helps with dental diseases.
- Nautis is a sign of human protection from evil and from “oneself.” It will help the owner to avoid trouble and reduce mental and physical suffering. The symbol is a good helper in terms of love and friendships. It is good for rheumatism and improves hair condition.
- Rune Issa preserves all the good and helps get rid of the bad. It strengthens the willpower of a person and “takes” him out of difficult life situations. In terms of health, the symbol helps relieve fever, eases menopause, and positively affects the fight against skin diseases.
- Hyera is the rune of a slow but “sure” moving forward. She will “teach” a person how to build her life, learning from her own mistakes, without making them in the future. This is a sign of long-term action, which leads to success sequentially, “without haste.” The symbol has a positive effect on patients suffering from diseases of the cardiovascular system and having problems with the spine.
- Eyvas is a symbol that gives endurance and determination. He will help you make the right decision and “get out of the water” in a difficult life situation. For a person with extrasensory abilities, the rune will help to open them. It is necessary for people with liver and gallbladder problems.
- Perth is a sign of stability and constancy. The rune reveals the “hidden” talents and helps the person to “know life and oneself.” A woman, with its help, will become a faithful, loving wife and a kind, caring mother, and a person with “superpowers” will be able to strengthen them. The symbol increases the body’s resistance, filling it with vital energy.
- Algis is a strong protective rune. It will protect a person’s body and soul from negative influences and protect his property, family, and business. The sign will relieve depression and help maintain “strength of mind” in a difficult situation.
- Soulou is a sign of energy and life. It has a beneficial effect on all aspects of a person’s life, enhancing his energy and filling the body with vitality and youthful enthusiasm. With this rune, a person is “on the shoulder” of any business, and in all endeavors, he will be accompanied by success. Also, the sign has a beneficial effect on the respiratory system and helps people with this regard.
And finally, the last eight Scandinavian runes of the runic alphabet:
- Teyvas is the rune of courage and strength. It will help a person overcome his fears, relieve him of indecision and reduce the manifestations of aggression. This sign is often placed in offices to get rid of quarrels and promote mutual understanding and team building. The symbol is recommended to be worn by people suffering from hypertension and increased excitability.
- Berkana is a protective family symbol. It will help build relationships in marriage and promote better understanding between representatives of different generations. The fleece is designed to protect pregnant women and young children from negative influences. She can “provide” the family with material well-being and eliminate problems and troubles. The sign is advised to be worn by pregnant women to facilitate childbirth, and it will also help young mothers recover faster after giving birth.
- Evas is a rune symbolizing tireless movement forward. With its help, you can change the situation for the better and achieve harmony. You can take the sign with you on a business trip and for important negotiations. In large teams, he will help colleagues find mutual understanding with each other. The rune has a positive effect on people suffering from urolithiasis.
- Mannas is a sign of harmony and perfection. It helps a person develop hidden talents and abilities, increases his sociability and makes enemies “moderate their ardor.” In the field of health, the rune will protect against injury and fill the body with energy.
- Lagus symbolizes a calm and smooth flow of life. The rune will help a person understand his feelings, establish a family life and “resolve” work situations. It will protect the owner from accidents and make his life more measured. The sign is recommended for people with vision problems.
- Ingus is a rune of fortitude and tenacity. Its application will help a person achieve the intended goal. The sign is carried by pregnant women and ladies who dream of a child. It also supports those who want to lose weight and get rid of “bad habits”“.
- Otilla is a sign of achieving a goal and developing abilities. It is advised to be carried during the purchase of real estate and the conclusion of major transactions. The rune will save your property and improve your well-being. It has a general strengthening effect on the human body.
- Dagas is a sign that contributes to the successful completion of any undertaking or stage of life and a strong symbol of “unity.” You can “rally” any team with its help, whether it be a family or work colleagues. The rune promotes the fastest healing of wounds and strengthens the protective functions of the body.
Rules for writing runic characters
Before proceeding with the manufacture of a rune amulet, it is necessary to determine what functions it will perform and what protection is required. Based on this, choose a rune or a combination of runic symbols, which will be the basis of the talisman. Combinations of runic characters “add up” in special formulas, staves and ligatures. The process of “folding” symbols must be approached responsibly, remembering that an incorrectly composed talisman not only will not help but can also harm.
Runic formulas are rune symbols written in a specific sequence. Symbols work either from left to right or from top to bottom. The runes in the formula must be written in the sequence of their desired effect. It would help if you did not write too long formulas - the number of characters in them should not exceed five runes.
Runic staves and ligatures are Scandinavian runes connected in the form of certain figures. Runic symbols seem to overlap each other, forming a kind of “knitting” of signs. Such combinations are applied with the first rune. Stakes are written in a circle behind or counterclockwise. Elm also begins to be applied from the first according to the influence of the runic sign and then the order of success.
The sequence of creating a talisman
Depending on the purpose, the Scandinavian symbols are applied to the material, to an object that requires protection, or directly to itself. The “material” for drawing a rune can be anything: paper, cloth, stone, or wood. The “object” can be a car or a wall of a house. Scandinavian tattoos are usually applied to themselves.
You can use any writing device to draw the Scandinavian runes and symbols that can be cut out or burned out. After writing the signs, the amulet must be “negotiated,” that is, set a task for it. Negotiations or conspiracies should be concise, clear and understandable. They must indicate the purpose of the magical effect and the duration of the amulet. Sometimes slander is made with the help of visa - a special poetic appeal to the gods.
Then the talisman must be activated. Some use specially developed techniques for these purposes, while others operate intuitively. The beginning of the action of the amulet can be the end of drawing symbols, with a mental or verbal appeal to it, or any other action established by the creator. After activation, leave the amulet to “tackle your question” yourself, and you carefully monitor what is happening and contribute in every way to the onset of change.
If the talisman’s duration was previously agreed upon by you, then the magic item should be destroyed after its expiration. To do this, it is necessary to “give” one of the four elements (burn, bury it in the ground, etc.), having previously thanked for the work. Should do the same with a damaged or broken amulet. There is no need to store inactive Scandinavian amulets - they will “pull” your energy onto themselves, which will negatively affect life as a whole.
Guardian tattoos in the Scandinavian style are based mainly on the plots and characters of Old Norse mythology. There are several types of Scandinavian-themed tattoos. These are, first of all, runic tattoos. Tattoos depicting magical creatures, plants and animals, which are reflected in Old Norse mythology, and are widespread. The image on the body can be images of the gods of pagan Scandinavia and complex combinations and interweaving of the patterns of the ancient Celts, from which the so-called tattooed “sleeves” are created.
Tattoos of ancient Scandinavians with runic symbols represent a picture depicting one rune, runic formula, ligature or stave. Before making a full-fledged tattoo, you should carefully study the meaning of the symbols used and create a sketch of the future inscription. To “feel” how a tattoo can affect your life, make a temporary version using henna. If you see that the amulet is working, you can safely make it permanent.
Scandinavian mythology characters
Especially popular among tattoo lovers are “pictures” based on the themes of ancient Scandinavian myths. They often look quite “belligerent,” which is especially “to the taste” of men. Each detail of the Scandinavian and the Slavic drawing carries a certain “message” and not always positive. Some images can have a “double” meaning and behave differently in different interpretations.
For example, Scandinavian warriors sailing in a boat do not always symbolize “victory.” In the beliefs of the northern peoples, the rook means the “last refuge” of the warrior, which carries him to the “other world.” Here is another example: a wolf in Scandinavian mythology can mean strength and courage, or it can be a harbinger of tragic events. Among the most popular Scandinavian gods depicted on the body, one should highlight Odin - the supreme and beloved god of the northern peoples. Tattoos with the image of Odin are especially popular among men. Still, as for female tattoos, the image of Odin’s wife, the beautiful goddess love and fertility of Frigga, who patronizes the family, is suitable for the fair half of humanity.
In addition to the gods Odin and Frigga, the god Fenrir in the form of a wolf is popular. Feminine, such a Scandinavian tattoo, can hardly be called, but the strong half of humanity likes this character. In the photo of tattoo lovers, you can see the image of the Raven as a symbol of wisdom and Sleipnir - Odin’s horse with eight legs, “carrying” strength and endurance to the warrior. Often tattooed with the image of the Valkyries - women of the fallen warriors.
Other Scandinavian amulets
In addition to runic amulets and tattoos, there are several other Scandinavian talismans. All of them have their sphere of application and their history of creation. The choice of such a talisman is a purely individual matter, depending on the desired result, the date of birth of the owner, his zodiac sign, gender, beliefs and personal feelings. Consider some of the most common Scandinavian amulets.
Amulet Hammer of Thor or Mjelnir is more masculine than feminine amulet. In ancient times, a woman was allowed to wear it only if she could not conceive a child for a long time. This talisman endowed a man with strength, courage and endurance; it also helped to avoid death and injury in battle. The hammer brought fertility to the earth and protected the home from the “dark forces”. With its help, people “diverted” natural disasters and found a way out of difficult life situations.
The Thor cross is a cross decorated with the head of a wolf. This amulet can be both female and male. It is intended for people on the road in the literal and figurative sense of the word. It will help travelers and people whose work is related to travel. It will help them stay on track and keep their lives and health. For those who are “looking for themselves,” the amulet will “show” the “right path in life.”
A snake biting its tail symbolizes unity, eternity and the cyclical phenomenon of nature. As an amulet, this symbol is “enclosed” in the ring of Ouroborus. The magic of this jewelry consists of its “unusualness” and the talisman’s ability to help its owner gain wisdom and develop intuition. The ring will help you make the right decision at an important stage in your life and achieve the desired goal with the “least loss,” bypassing all obstacles.
For fans of ancient Scandinavian magic, the double ax is associated with strength and power. Indeed, this amulet, which cannot be considered female, makes its owner stronger and more self-confident. It is perfect for “senior” leaders and warriors. With it, a person will win any battle, be it on the battlefield, in business or in personal life.
Helm of Terror
The Helm of Terror is an ancient sign of Scandinavian magic, based on the Algiz rune. Outwardly, it looks like a cross with branches at the ends. The shape of the amulet depends on the functions that it must perform. There are many variations of this symbol, from simple to quite complex. The main function of the helm is to accumulate energies and increase resistance to evil forces.