When we sound a mantra, it causes a vibration in the universe and everything around it is affected by that energy. And that is the function of the mantra . When you want to change the reality around you, you can emanate energies through sound to cause what you want. So we must be careful what we say. Everything that is played in the universe through sound, can and will come back to you. On the other hand, if you emanate harmonious and balanced sounds, it will also affect your life. So, this is a great reason to learn the power of mantras.
Mantras are sounds used mainly in Buddhism and Hinduism. And in this text we are going to talk about the most used mantra in Tibetan Buddhism: Om Mani Padme Hum.
The literal translation of this mantra means “save the jewel in the lotus” . The purpose of chanting Om Mani Padme Hum is to invoke the divine being of compassion. But its meaning does not stop there. Many interpretations and philosophies have emerged from this mantra, which shows how its power intrigued so many people who felt its effect.
If we interpret syllable by syllable, we can find some meanings:
- Om means “the whole” and its vibration.
- Mani means the essence, the spirit of the divine being.
- Padme refers to the lotus flower, which symbolizes the heart chakra, which is the body’s energetic center responsible for emotions and loving energy.
- Hum is the vibration of compassion emanating light.
But that is not the only interpretation of the mantra. According to other sources:
- Om shows the opposition of the impurity of the speech of the human being in contrast to the purity of the speech of the enlightened mind.
- Mani indicates his intention to be enlightened, starting with compassion and love.
- Padme is wisdom.
- Hum is when we unite with wisdom and become one with it.
We can also find the Tibetan meaning for each syllable of the mantra:
- Om - bliss
- Ma - patience
- Ni - discipline
- Pa - wisdom
- Me - generosity
- Hum - diligence
Finding all these meanings, we feel why it is such a popular and used mantra. It evokes love, wisdom and compassion. But as much as we can talk about it, you will only understand its effect by chanting it yourself and feeling its effects on you. So try to chant Om Mani Padme Hum and feel the compassion grow in your life.