Once upon a time, amulets of dream catchers were only known to and used by people who were into esoteric and mystical views of life. Those times are gone. Nowadays, all kinds of different people have and use dream-catchers. The amulet protects people from having unpleasant dreams and ensures that they only have good dreams. Thanks to dream-catchers, people can sleep peacefully at night and get the optimum rest as they should. This helps them reserves their strength for a new day. In addition to their direct purpose, a dream catcher can become an attractive and original decoration for a home. With its pleasantly colorful details, it gives a bright ethnic character to that home. It is not difficult to buy a dream catcher amulet - it is sold in shops of esoteric goods. Another way is to make one yourself.
What is a dream catcher: the meaning of the amulet and the story of its appearance
People became actively interested in dream catchers in the second half of the twentieth century (roughly 60 - 70 years ago). And by no means all who purchased this item believed that it would protect them from bad dreams. Many buyers today, first of all, want to get the actual home decor.
Dream catchers come from the Native American settlements of North America, however, no one knows when it is that they exactly appeared. Some Siberian people used similar magical objects for the same purpose. The traditions of using amulets among Native Indians from the American continent and also those from Siberia most likely existed independently of each other, since the exchange of information between them was excluded due to the considerable remoteness of their geographical location.
Then the spirit took the willow branch and wove it in the shape of a circle, filling it inside with patterns of cobwebs. This was done so that the good that was seen by a man in a dream while asleep at night easily percolated in his waking life. On the other hand the evil ones became tangled in the cobweb and got burned in the light of the next day’s dawning sun.
Since then, the Indians began to make charms and amulets in the shape of dream-catchers. It helped them avoid the influence of bad dreams and see only good dreams at night.
Recommended reading articles:
- What Is Esotericism
- Character Traits Of The Zodiac That Make It Difficult To Find Love
- Chinese Numerology: Oriental Number Magic
Nowadays, once a man begins to use a dream catcher amulet, frequent stressful situations and other negative factors do not affect the quality of his sleep. From here on, experiences like nightmares and feeling sick after waking up do not trouble him. So it helps in improving sleep and a person wakes up with a good mood. Not only that but he manages to do more, performs everyday work better, and is also less prone to various diseases.
Among the people of Siberia, the dream catcher was known to be one of the shamanistic objects. Located above the head of the sleeper, the amulet not only protected the sleeper from evil spirits, but also allowed the shaman to control dreams. With the help of that amulet, the shaman could learn about upcoming events and receive tips in making fateful decisions for the tribe. Therefore, even today, the amulet may be necessary for practitioners of various rites and procedures associated with sleep, for example, lucid dreams.
So, how can the dream catcher amulet help a person in the modern world? The amulet will improve the quality of sleep. It will allow you to sleep and rest peacefully at night so as to meet and spend a new day with a good mood and experience well-being.
It is believed that good dreams pass through a small hole in the middle of the cobweb. The nightmares become entangled in the web section and melt away by the first rays of the rising sun.
What are the different types of dream catcher amulets
- the composition is based on a circle symbolizing the sun and its daily cycle;
- Mandatory elements of any catcher are bird feathers, which symbolize breathing and lightness.
What variety is possible in the traditional form of the amulet? Today, there are three of the most popular types of design, depending on the origin of this magical item:
- Native American amulet dream catcher. An object in the shape of a circle filled with interwoven threads. Such a “web” catches good dreams, which descend to the sleeping person on the feathers and make his sleep calm and pleasant. Not only that but it delays and lessens the intensity of bad dreams. Evil spirits that cause bad dreams linger in the interwoven threads and disappear in the rays of the dawning sun.
- The magic tool of Siberian shamans. This dream catcher is designed to attract all kinds of visions - it doesn’t matter if they are pleasant dreams or nightmares. All of them are significant for the shaman. With the help of such an amulet, he sees in a dream the images of trapped spirits. Confronting the negative forces allows the shaman to penetrate the depths of his own consciousness. Such amulets can be dangerous for inexperienced adherents of such rituals. So it is advised to be used only by experienced shamans.
- Asian amulet. The strength of such an object lies in the symbolic components of which it is made. Often, Asian dream catcher amulets contain figures of animals or zodiac constellations.
How to choose a dream catcher amulet
- White color dream catcher symbolizes purity and healing. It gives a person elevation, bright energy, and deliverance from ailments.
- Black color dream catcher symbolizes infinity and feminine energy of life. It gives a person stamina, firmness of mind, and the strength to complete what has been started.
- Red color dream catcher symbolizes will and intense power. It gives a person energy and stimulates creativity.
- Pink color dream catcher symbolizes the energy of love. It gives a person vitality, relieves stress, and helps to understand themselves better.
- Orange color dream catcher gives a person harmony, balances male and female life energies and principles, and gives strength to resist negative manifestations.
- Yellow color dream catcher symbolizes the spiritual beginning. It gives a person bodily and mental health, spiritual strength, and exacerbates mental perception.
- Green color dream catcher symbolizes endless life. It gives an objective vision of the world and the power to implement plans.
- Sky blue color dream catcher
symbolizes the truth. It gives a person the ability to predict the future and facilitates a positive perception of reality. It also makes consciousness bright.
- Blue color dream catcher gives a person the harmony of life, purifies the spirit, and activates logic.
- Violet color dream catcher symbolizes the soul. It gives man inspiration for a better life, strength to his humility, and steadfastness to accept different realities.
The above information characterizes only the Native Indian dream catcher for common folk. The shaman’s amulet is made according to completely different principles and for different purposes. For the Siberian amulet, mainly dark colors are used: dark blue, black, and rarely red. However, people unfamiliar with shamanism should not acquire such a serious magical item.
How to make a DIY Dreamcatcher Amulet
Everyone can make an amulet on their own. All that is needed is to prepare the constituent elements and show a little perseverance. Prerequisite: the maximum possible number of materials for the amulet must be natural. So, first prepare:
- a willow twig (or a hoop made of wood, metal, etc.);
- thick threads or cord;
Once again, we recall that all components (or most of them) should be made of natural materials.
The dream catcher amulet, intended for a women, are best decorated with an owl’s feathers. As for men - it’s best decorated with the feathers of an eagle. In extreme cases, a feather of poultry (chicken, goose, etc.) is suitable. True, there is an opinion that such a talisman will be less effective.
To make a charm at home, follow the instructions:
- Leaving a free end about ten centimeters long, wrap a hoop with a cord, thread or braid;
- Having finished wrapping the circle, tie the cord on the hoop near the free end, and you can proceed to create a pattern;
- Setting aside a few centimeters, tie the thread on the hoop, wrapping it around the base, and passing it into the resulting loop;
- Do the same thing around the circumference - this will be the first row of the “web”;
- The next row is interwoven similarly, the basis for it will be the first row;
- While creating the pattern, string the beads on the thread in a random order;
- Reaching the center and completing the weaving, tightly tie the thread with a knot and secure with glue.
Where to place the dream-catcher amulet in the house?
Given the purpose of this magic item, a trap amulet should be placed above the head of a person’s bed. If this is not possible, then a suitable place would be:
- Wall at the head of the bed;
- Lamp on the bedside table;
- Bedroom / wardrobe doors.
Other dream catcher amulets
Other magical items are also common among the Native Indians. They supplement or resemble an amulet like the dream catcher. One such, for example, is a “medical wheel”. It looks like a circle (hoop) with lines crossed in the center and feather pendants below.
The ring is the life cycle. The spokes inside it are the four cardinal points. They represent the four world races and the four manifestations of man (physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual).
This amulet is intended to remind us of the world’s unity. It reminds us that everything is connected and that we should not forget about Mother Earth.
Another amulet is the “fusion of souls.” It represents two intersecting hoops. Simultaneously, a “cobweb” passes through the disjoint parts, and an amulet, most often a bead, is suspended from the disjoint section. This amulet is designed to protect the relationships and sleep of people who are in love.
Using horseshoe or the shapes similar to that of a horseshoe so as to make an amulet is also very common. A horseshoe is a sign of good luck and protection from negative influences. This detail will give a powerful energy charge and add unusualness to your decor, be it at home or at your workplace. At home it will improve the overall energy and when used in an office it will improve relations with clients and the inflow of business, turnover, and profit.
Dream catcher amulet tattoo: what to do and where to place it
What are the goals of a person who wants to put the image of the dream catcher on their body?
- eliminate the effect of harmful energy;
- improve sleep quality, overcome sleep problems and nightmares;
- find harmony with nature, the symbol of which is also the dream catcher amulet;
- demonstrate commitment to ancient customs.
Thus, the tattoo image of the dream-catcher amulet has the meaning of a very powerful talisman based on ancient traditions and freedom.
The closer the tattoo is to the head, the stronger its effect. The most common place for tattooing such a pattern is the neck and forearms. The positive effect of a tattoo is based on psychological comfort from the presence of a protective sign on the body. Another common place to apply this image is the ribs.