To understand what Kundalini is, we first need to understand what chakras are. Both in Yoga and in other aspects of spiritual studies around the world, energy centers have been discovered in the human body that have the function of controlling and harmonizing the energies of being. There are seven main chakras in the energy body that surround the human physical body, each with a different function.
The first chakra is in the region of the genitals and has the function of connecting us with the earth and everything that is in the physical world. Going up the backbone, more or less in the pelvis region is the second chakra whose function is to vibrate creative energy. The third chakra is located in the solar plexus, in the navel, and balances the distribution of vital energy throughout the other chakras. The fourth chakra is in the center of the chest and is responsible for balance and emotional and loving expression. The fifth chakra is in the throat and is responsible for communication. The sixth chakra is in the “third eye” in the center of the forehead and is responsible for intuition. And finally the seventh chakra is at the top of the head and its function is to connect with the spiritual, with the divine.
What is Kundalini?
Kundalini is an energy that is awakened in the first chakra and goes up through the other chakras until it reaches the last chakra at the top of the head. If we analyze the function of each chakra, we realize that Kundalini is then an energy that takes everything from physical connection to spiritual connection. That is, it subtle everything that is earthly and takes the earthly sensation to a spiritual level. That is why many yoga practitioners report a feeling of contact with God when they awaken the Kundalini energy.
To awaken that energy, yogis have a range of meditation, breathing, and even sexual practices for this. In the case of the sexual act, Kundalini would be awakened at the same time in the two people involved and this makes the experience even more intense. To learn these techniques, it is necessary to find a yoga teacher who has training and knows how to teach techniques to awaken that energy. One of the strands of yoga that works the most is Tantrism .
But if you are curious and still don’t know a qualified yoga teacher for this, do the following exercise to gradually awaken the energy of your chakras and, over time, be able to make it easier for you to awaken the Kundalini. It is worth remembering that everything is a matter of time, practice and dedication.
Exercise to awaken the energies of the chakras
- With your eyes closed, imagine a red energy disk spinning clockwise in front of your genitals. Breathe calmly and let the energy of this disk expand as you rotate.
- Then imagine a disk of orange light in front of the pelvic area and feel it energize and pulse and rotate clockwise.
- Next imagine a golden light disk in front of the navel energizing and pulsating strongly and rotating clockwise.
- The next chakra you should imagine is in the center of your chest is a strong, intense emerald green pulse while rotating clockwise.
- Then, in front of the throat (more precisely in the region of the thyroid gland), imagine a disc of light blue light energizing and also turning clockwise.
- Right after that, imagine a disc of navy blue light rotating clockwise in the center of your forehead (in the “third eye” position). Imagine it pulsing and emanating energy.
- Finally, imagine a disk of violet light on the top of your head spinning clockwise and emanating energy from it.
This is a simple exercise, but it can open doors for you to awaken Kundalini energy in the future. To go deeper into the subject, look for a qualified yoga teacher and discover new practices.